In May 2021, two bear attacks in Alberta ended in tragedy. While attacks of these nature are rare, the importance of being prepared in the wildness cannot be overstated. Alberta Fish and Wildlife have a few steps for anyone who may encounter a bear in the wild:
- Stay calm and do not run away. Stay with your group and keep children close.
- Back away if you see cubs or an animal carcass. The bear will want to protect them.
- Prepare to defend yourself with bear spray.
- Back away, leaving the way you came. Keep your eye on the bear without staring at it aggressively.
- Look for a place to hide, such as a car or building.
- Speak to the bear in a soft, low voice.
Our Pocket Launcher and Plastic Crack Cartridges can be used as wildlife deterrents and the best possible way to scare off a bear or other animals before they come too close for comfort. These products create a loud banging sound effect and provides effective animal scaring at a safe distance. These products can be used to deter other animals such as coyotes, elk, deer, or even cougars. Please remember to always stay safe and prepared when adventuring outdoors.